Many forms of popular culture icons have been released throughout the years and have been talked about through all sorts of media outlets. Many of these things are still popular today, and they may even be common to hear about. In 2017, there are many different pop-culture items that have some major birthdays. We decided to take a look at what some of these anniversaries are.
- On September 21st, 1937 -80 years ago- J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit was released, which told the tale of Bilbo Baggins helping some dwarfs to defeat the dragon, and it also told how he found the ring that is destroyed in The Lord of the Rings trilogy that followed.
- Also in 1937, the Walt Disney film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was released on December 21st. This was the first full-length animated feature to be released. Many people at the time thought it would be a flop, so it was referred to as ‘Disney’s folly.’
- June 1st, 2017 is the 50th anniversary of the release of the Beatles’ album Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. This album gave the band more focus and attention.
- Prepare yourself for the sound of an Imperial March- that’s right, Star Wars will be celebrating its 40th anniversary on May 25th. This was a movie that grabbed the attention of multiple generations and ushered in a “new” Hollywood of sorts.
- Celebrating a 20th anniversary, the boy who lived in the cupboard under the stairs was released in the United Kingdom on June 26th, 1997. Harry Potter fans will be more than happy to watch or reread The Philosopher’s Stone, or The Sorcerer’s Stone as it’s known here in the U.S.
Pictured above are some of the items associated with these pop-culture anniversaries. If you’re a fan of any of these, make sure that you celebrate the anniversary this year!
By: Elyse Schroeder
Short URL: http://voice.lp.noacsc.org/?p=13525